Give your skin the glow it deserves with one of makeup’s newest trends – highlighters. These fun and playful colors are perfect for making your skin look radiant and will make you look simply ethereal!
This trend is simple and easy to follow, but there are a few things you’ll need to keep in mind before diving into this new fashion trend. Each skin tone has different rules that you’ll want to remember when looking for your ideal palette.
If you have a pale or light skin tone, look for highlighters that have a pearl-like, silvery, or champagne hue. These tones will add a radiant glow to your complexion without coming off as fake. You’ll want to avoid warmer colors as these will look less natural on your complexion.
Medium to Olive Skin
Make sure your skin doesn’t look too icy by looking for highlighters that have a peach or gold undertone. These hues will give you the natural glow you’re looking for without making you look faux or unnatural.
Peach and gold hues will look great on your skin year-round, but they’re especially flattering during spring and summer months. Pair the look with soft metallic makeup to give yourself an all-over natural glow.
For a look that is especially flattering on this type of skin, you’re going to want to look for highlighters that have rich, vibrant hues of rose gold and bronze. For the best results, look for high pigment colors and stay away from anything that looks like it could be frosty. Cooler shades could make your skin look grey instead of sun-kissed. Mixing hues in with your foundation (start small) can also be a smart way to give yourself an all-over glow that is sure to turn heads!
The Best Color Palettes
Now that you know which highlighters will look best on your skin tone, you’re ready to see our list of the best color palettes currently on the market!
- NYX Strobe of Genius Illuminating Palette – The ‘Strobe of Genius’ palette comes with seven different shades that are flattering on all skin tones. This is the most variety you’ll get with any highlighting palette and it comes in shades that range from lavender to bronze. Wear them alone for a classic glow or layer them together and see what new magical hues come up!
- Wet n Wild MegaGlo Illuminating Palette – These four complementary colors will likely work best for those with fair skin. Each color is a take on a timeless classic that looks fabulous on its own, but if you blend them all together, you’ll be thrilled with the results!
- Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Skin Twinkle Lighting Palette – These illuminating colors are as good for your skin as they are glorious. They come packed with antioxidants to keep your skin healthy and smooth and have zero risk of caking on your skin. The nude colors are perfect to get that coveted natural glow that doesn’t draw the eye away from your overall look.
- Maybelline New York Master Bronze Color & Highlighting Kit – This gel based kit is perfect for medium to olive and dark skin tones. You’ll love the saturated color, as well as the smooth and seamless glow that comes when blended correctly. All four colors come with varying glow so you can decide how radiant you want to be.
- Sephora Collection Illuminate Palette – Six beautiful shades are pressed into silky smooth powders to make sure your skin looks stunning. This palette comes with colors that are universally flattering and are sure to give your skin a beautiful shine.